Now that I have a case, the Antec Nine Hundred if you remember, I needed to get it powered…adequately. I went through quite a bit of research to try and figure out how much power I would need, but in the end I found it more difficult…and inexact to do the “right” thing. It seems like analyzing power usage is easier after you’ve used it. So maybe I can figure out how much over-powered I am once this is all configured.
As my previous experiences taught me, I don’t skimp on power supplies either. I was interested in a rock-solid performer with as high an efficiency (power supplied versus power converted to heat) as I could afford. I was surprised by what I found. While there are some exceptions, the more efficient PSU’s available today are running at < =85% efficiency. Of course, there can be dramatic differences from the max load efficiency rating (usually the highest number) to a 50% load average. Regardless, I won't really know what I have until it’s under load and the Kill A Watt is monitoring it.
The Trio lineup from Antec isn’t what I’d call sexy. I’m only a little disappointed by that – the box art made me think I was buying a black PSU for my black chassis. It’s actually flat gray. The standard color for all PC components circa 1990. I thought about hitting it with some high-gloss enamel paint, but I’m not sure I want to void the warranty just yet. At 5 years, the purchase price included this notable addition to the Antec product. I could always mask it and paint it intact, but that makes me even more uncomfortable.
Directly from the source:
One, Two, Trio!
The new generation of power supplies has arrived with Antec’s TruePower Trio series. The three +12V rails allow you to distribute your power more evenly, which will result in a more stable system. Available in three models: 430 Watt, 550 Watt and a 650 Watt that gives you serious power for even the most cutting edge components. TruePower Trio perfectly handles dual processors, dual graphics cards, and just about anything else you can throw at it.
- Nvidia Quad SLI certified
- Universal Input, automatically adjusts for 100V to 240V power grids
- Active Power Factor Correction (PFC) for environmentally friendlier power
- Three 12V output circuits provide added system stability
- Accurate power rating allows TruePower Trio to deliver its full rated power, 24 hours a day rated at 50ºC
- Up to 85% efficiency
- 120mm low noise cooling fan
- Fan Only power connectors allow TruePower Trio to control case fan speeds, reducing total system noise
- Dedicated outputs for stable output and less ripple noise
- Feedback loop circuits for tighter load regulation (±3%) to maintain accurate voltage to all components
- Heavy duty protection circuitry prevents damage resulting from short circuits (SCP), power overloads (OPP), over voltages (OVP), and under voltages (UVP)
- 4 SATA connectors for Serial ATA drives
- Two PCI-E connectors for PCI-Express video cards on 550W and 650W models, one connector on 430W model
- MTBF: 80,000 hours at 25°C
- Safety approvals: UL, CUL, FCC, TÜV, CE, C-tick, CCC, CB
- Power Factor value up to 99%
- Gold plated connectors for superior conductivity
- ATX 12V 2.2 / EPS 12V
- AQ5 – 5 year warranty
- Dimensions: 3.4″(H) x 5.9″(W) x 5.5″(D)
- Net Weight: 3.8lbs.
$127.19 – $30.00 rebate = $97.19